Your tech information digest, by the use of the DGiT Daily tech publication, for Friday, 20 November 2020.
1. Amazon Echo Frames attain second-generation
Remember when Amazon tried some new Echo wearables as a part of its “Day One Edition” product line, with invite-only availability?
Two of these are seeing massive modifications.
- First is the dangerous information, I suppose: the $130 Echo Loop ring is useless.
- The thought was it had a tiny speaker and it might vibrate in your finger while you get a name or notification.
- It was price a shot as a result of getting silent notifications just isn’t a solved drawback but, and evidently nonetheless isn’t. The ring was additionally fairly thick and unwieldy wanting.
- Anyway, if you happen to purchased one, current prospects are getting “updates and assist” a minimum of for now, nevertheless it’s not in manufacturing and never offered.
But extra importantly, the Echo Frames sensible glasses have been upgraded and so they’re going stay to most of the people.
- The second era of Echo Frames can be found to preorder for $250, and transferring from invite-only to open to preorders for all.
- The fundamental premise of the pilot product stays the identical with the brand new second-gen sensible glasses.
- The updates embrace elevated battery life by 40%, robotically power-off when the glasses have been set down for greater than three seconds, higher sound high quality, and sensible quantity controls alter robotically to account for ambient noise.
- New colours: Classic Black, Horizon Blue and Modern Tortoise.
- I wanted a reminder of what the glasses truly do, and simply to get you up to the mark as effectively, the Frames aren’t about visuals as they’re providing Alexa to your ears.
- There’s a headset-like capacity the place the microphone and audio system pair with smartphone apps, and allow you to connect with Alexa and use sensible assistant options.
- That consists of listening to music, listening to books, or asking questions, and hands-free duties like commanding sensible dwelling gadgets or studying a procuring checklist as you wander round a store.
- Amazon does provide directions and assist to get prescription lenses fitted from an optometrist however doesn’t provide them itself, by the best way.
- I’m reminded of the unique evaluations, which went one thing like: “You have to actually love Alexa to need to put on it in your face” (Washington Post), and that nearly nobody needs to put on glasses in the event that they don’t want glasses.
- I wouldn’t thoughts some smarts being baked into my present glasses, however no manner in heck am I paying Amazon to not match prescription lenses to their restricted frames types.
- And charging glasses, which continues to be by way of a customized cable, looks like it could possibly be annoying.
2. It’s official: Xiaomi’s new Redmi Note 9 sequence is coming subsequent week (Android Authority).
3. Google is rolling out end-to-end encryption for RCS in Android Messages beta, after two years of getting there (Android Authority).
4. Why is it so dang laborious to position an order for a next-gen console or new Nvidia graphics card? (The Verge).
5. iOS players can now take pleasure in some cloud streaming gaming, with Google Stadia and Nvidia’s GeForce Now platforms now working in Safari by way of internet app, bypassing the App Store. Fortnite is successfully again on iPhone/iPad. (TechCrunch).
6. Speed Test G: iPhone 12 vs OnePlus 8T (it’s probably not a contest) (Android Authority).
7. iFixit digs into the M1 MacBooks and finds similarities galore, aside from that M1 chip (Engadget).
8. Roblox recordsdata to go public. Extraordinary numbers: 31 million day by day lively customers, and 22.2 billion engaged hours. You may solely find out about this in case you have youngsters however the youngsters simply like it (TechCrunch).
9. Don’t be alarmed given the security modifications Boeing has been pressured to make, however for flying nerds: How to inform if you happen to’re flying on a just lately recertified Boeing 737 MAX (Jalopnik).
10. The Pope’s Instagram account preferred a put up from a mannequin in a pose in all probability not seen as significantly …religious. No one’s fessed up, so the Vatican is asking Instagram. Oops.
11. Deep area isn’t pure black, and scientists don’t know why (NPR).
12. Facing harmful collapse, the famed Arecibo Observatory shall be demolished. This was as soon as a serious US scientific achievement that’s and was important for astronomy, and fell into harmful tatters (The Verge).
13. Here are 2020 award-winning wildlife images (Agora).
14. Rocket Lab launched Electron in a giant take a look at of booster restoration, efficiently introduced the booster down in a parachute (AreaNews)
15. ELI5: Why are there “sizzling folks” and “chilly folks,” – like my mum, who’s at all times chilly. Why?! (r/explainlikeimfive).
Dgit Daily is powered by our sister website dgit.com
Visit dgit Daily
Finally, a tech subscription price studying.
Sign up for day by day digests of the tech content material most related to you.
The DGiT Daily delivers a day by day electronic mail that retains you forward of the curve for all tech information, opinions, and hyperlinks to what’s happening within the planet’s most essential area. You get all of the context and perception you want, and all with a contact of enjoyable. Plus! Rotating day by day enjoyable for every day of the week, like Wednesday Weirdness. Join in!