Hello and welcome again to Equity, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
Every week we write this put up with some opening line akin to wow, what every week, huh? This is yet one more a kind of weeks. Perhaps that is simply life now, and each week will stretch earlier than us, much like what Gandalf stated after killing that Balrog, that “each day was so long as the life age of the Earth.”
Anyhoo, we recorded Equity to try to make just a little sense of the week as there was rather a lot occurring. So, Natasha, Danny, and Alex as soon as once more gathered to parse all of it. Here’s a tough digest of the matters from this episode:
- Techstars’ digital demo days. Natasha and Alex are listening in to as many Techstars digital demo confabs as they’ll together with different TC employees, pulling out favorites as we go. Today we dug into what’s working, and what isn’t with digital demo days.
- While VC Twitter would possibly make it look like each agency is open for enterprise, that isn’t the fact. We discuss signaling danger, exterior indicators a agency is investing, and throw professional rata chat round in between.
- Peanut, a social community for girls, raised $12 million and that’s the excellent news we would have liked this week. Think of it as a greater, cleaner and extra intimate model of your favourite Facebook group. About 1.6 million are on the platform.
- Every Mother raised a small sum to convey security and group to pre and put up natal exercises for moms.
- Robinhood’s Series F. The new Robinhood spherical values the corporate at round $8.three billion, an enormous quantity however one which wasn’t as excessive as we’d have anticipated, given how a lot its valuation used to develop between new funding occasions.
- Airbnb reduce 1,900 individuals in a devastating spherical of layoffs for the journey and hospitality firm. We focus on o-founder and CEO Brian Chesky’s detailed blogpost concerning the cuts, and whether or not it’s higher to be a public or a non-public firm throughout this pandemic.
- Uber reduce employees this week, and pumped cash into an enormous Lime downround which will see it offload its personal micromobility enterprise onto the smaller firm. Not a great week for Uber, not a great week for Lime.
We didn’t get to talk API funding rounds or the unicorn retreat, and even actually riff on earnings. There’s a lot occurring! But, we’ll be again Monday morning so sit tight.
Equity drops each Monday at 7:00 AM PT and Friday at 6:00 am PT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all of the casts.