Hello and welcome again to Equity, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
Your humble Equity workforce is fairly drained however in good spirits, as there was rather a lot to speak about this week. But, first, three issues to begin us off:
- First: Read this piece from TechCrunch’s Megan Rose Dickey about Juneteenth and tech firms. This podcast goes out on Juneteenth, so earlier than you hit play, please take a minute to be taught extra concerning the day and its significance.
- Second: Danny and Arman from the TechCrunch workforce have lastly launched TechCrunch List, an enormous effort to find out which buyers are actually keen to jot down early checks. You can discover out extra right here.
- Third: Equity is now on Twitter. Follow us right here or perceive that you’re not cool.
All that stated, right here’s what we talked about on the present:
- Epic Games is trying to increase an enormous stack of money (Bloomberg, VentureBeat) at a brand new, larger valuation. We had been interested by how its lower-cut retailer might assist it acquire inroads with builders huge and small. That a part of the chat, the take-rate of the Fortnite mum or dad firm on the work of others was very cogent to the opposite important subject of the day:
- Apple vs. DHH. So Hey launched this week, and the brand new spin on e mail rapidly overshadowed its product launch by getting right into a spat with Apple about whether or not it wants so as to add the flexibility to enroll in the paid service on iOS, thus giving Apple a lower of its income. DHH and crew don’t agree. Apple is underneath fireplace for anti-competitive practices at residence and overseas — of various depth, and from totally different sources — making this all of the extra spicy.
- Upgrade raises $40 million for its credit-focused neobank.
- Degreed raises $32 million for its upskilling platform.
- And, on the finish, our tackle the present well being of the startup market. There have been a sheaf of stories currently about what’s going on in startup land. We gave our take.
And that’s that. Have a beautiful weekend and compensate for some sleep.
Equity drops each Friday at 6:00 am PT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all of the casts.