Your tech information digest, by means of the DGiT Daily tech e-newsletter, for Wednesday, 23 September 2020, simply forward of the Samsung Galaxy Fan Edition reveal.
1. Tesla: No batteries to indicate, however Battery Day all the identical
Not for the primary time, Tesla and Elon Musk delivered some huge guarantees and particulars, however in true Tesla trend, a lot continues to be years away. (To be truthful, Musk did admit this within the lead-up!)
- Catch up on the occasion right here for those who missed it and all of the honking from the drive-in shareholder assembly and presentation — the shareholder occasion begins at concerning the 41-minute mark, Musk takes the stage at concerning the 1:06:30s.
- The Battery Day presentation begins at about 1:40:30s.
- Some high-hopes weren’t met: the “million-mile” battery that may final 10 years or extra wasn’t talked about.
- And Tesla didn’t give particular value discount targets. In the business, it is a greenback per kilowatt-hour determine.
- The path has been a drop from $400 per kW/h in 2010, then thought of a big barrier, in direction of the tougher $100 per kW/h barrier in 2020.
What Tesla introduced— battery:
- Tesla mentioned it has plans to fabricate its personal “tabless” Li-on batteries, engaged on self-made batteries itself.
- A whole lot of element was given concerning the cell design, which now measure 46mm by 80mm, giving them their identify, the 4680.
- The firm mentioned this can give the cells 5 instances the power density, six instances the facility, and allow a 16% enhance in vary, however didn’t give printed efficiency metrics.
- The firm additionally didn’t exhibit a prototype, however confirmed it has constructed a pilot battery manufacturing facility at its Fremont manufacturing unit, nevertheless it’s not but working, though the cells should not simply designs however actual, working elements.
- Musk mentioned it’ll take “a couple of 12 months” to achieve scale manufacturing on the deliberate determine of 10 gigawatt-hours per 12 months.
- TechCrunch has in all probability the very best have a look at the general presentation of the brand new battery know-how, however the proof is clearly in when this can attain automobiles and shoppers.
- Overall, it’s unclear precisely what Tesla has right here, when it’ll arrive, and what all of it means.
- One superb be aware: Tesla plans to remove the usage of cobalt in its cathodes, a problematic mineral mined in situations that violate human rights, generally within the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The reasonably priced automobile is three years away (once more):
- Part of some great benefits of Tesla’s battery hopes is cheaper batteries, and due to this fact cheaper automobiles.
- While Tesla didn’t commit or touch upon actual particulars, Musk promised over the subsequent a number of years to slash battery prices in half.
- That would then result in huge financial savings, and ship Tesla’s first “reasonably priced” electrical automobile. It could attain $25,000 by 2025, a sum first promised in 2018 as being possible in three years.
- The aim was highlighted once more for three-years time: “about three years from now,” mentioned Musk, including on the finish of the presentation: “Tesla will make a compelling $25,000 electrical car that can be absolutely autonomous.”
- Reuters notes that analysts estimated Tesla battery packs value round $156 per kWh in 2019. Cutting that in half would drop costs throughout Tesla’s vary, and get nearer to the $25,000 determine for a brand new automobile.
Tesla’s 1,100HP Plaid Model S sport sedan will arrive in late 2021:
- Tesla’s quickest ever EV lastly had extra particulars, with Tesla promising 1,100 horsepower, sub-two-second 0-60 MPH time, and a 200MPH high velocity, with a 520-mile vary (presumably not whereas doing 200MPH.)
- Videos confirmed it beating Laguna Seca lap information, logging a 1:30.Three in response to Musk.
- It’ll retail for $139,000.
Lithium mining, too:
- After some mentions of Tesla mining its personal metals in 2019, Musk mentioned the corporate is steps in direction of lithium mining “10,000-acre lithium clay deposit in Nevada”.
- In addition, Tesla will construct a cathode plant to make cathodes “76 % cheaper”.
- Tesla believes it has a extra environmentally pleasant manner of extracting lithium from ore utilizing desk salt (sodium chloride).
- “Nobody’s accomplished this earlier than, to the very best of my data, no one’s accomplished this,” claimed Musk.
- Tesla’s Elon Musk promised full self-driving Autopilot beta in ‘a month or so’ (CNET), including “we needed to do a basic rewrite of the whole Autopilot software program stack.”
Quick ideas: Anything Telsa, particularly these typically over-hyped guarantees from Elon Musk creates a swift response, however a lot of the true element is but to be seen, so it’s arduous to gauge.
- The nay-sayers level to nothing extra introduced than a pilot plant some years away from scale manufacturing, and lithium mining including considerably extra vertical integration challenges.
- More charitable views are inspired that the brand new battery cells are working now, that Tesla didn’t appear to be as excessive because it has been, whereas accepting verifiable particulars are quick.
- Wired has a fairly good piece someplace down the center, leaning skeptical: “Where was the battery at Tesla’s Battery Day?”
2. Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G introduced: More selection for reasonably priced 5G (Android Authority).
3. Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite leaks: A rival to imminent Chromecast? (Android Authority).
4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S7/S7 Plus evaluate: The solely Android tablets to purchase (Android Authority).
5. Fitbit Sense evaluate: A piece in progress (Android Authority).
6. One of the very best is perhaps getting higher as Jabra publicizes new Elite 85t earbuds, and ANC replace for 75t earbuds (Android Authority).
7. Interview with Satya Nadella and Phil Spencer: How Microsoft’s CEO, Xbox head say they gained’t screw up Bethesda (CNET)
8. After delays, Amazon’s Prime Day 2020 will begin on October 13 (CNET).
9. Oh no: “It seems like a bunch of soon-to-be-disappointed folks unintentionally purchased Xbox One X’s at this time” (The Verge).
10. Overview of the state of bundles in 2020: Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft (Stratechery).
11. Air Shepherd: Leading rhinos and elephants to security with the assistance of drones (reset.org)
12. Spacecraft DAPPER will research ‘Dark Ages’ of the universe in radio waves (phys.org).
13. “ELI5: Why does rubbing your head whenever you hit it make it really feel higher?” (r/explainlikeimfive)
Dgit Daily is powered by our sister web site dgit.com
Visit dgit Daily
Finally, a tech subscription value studying.
Sign up for day by day digests of the tech content material most related to you.
The DGiT Daily delivers a day by day electronic mail that retains you forward of the curve for all tech information, opinions, and hyperlinks to what’s taking place within the planet’s most vital area. You get all of the context and perception you want, and all with a contact of enjoyable. Plus! Rotating day by day enjoyable for every day of the week, like Wednesday Weirdness. Join in!