Hello and welcome again to Equity, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
Before we dive in, don’t neglect that the present is on Twitter now, so comply with us there if you wish to see discarded headline concepts, outtakes from the that bought minimize, and extra. It’s enjoyable!
Back to activity, pay attention, we’re drained too. But we didn’t let that cease us from packing this week’s Equity to the very gills with information and notes and jokes and enjoyable. Hopefully you may chuckle together with myself and Natasha and Danny and Chris on the dials as we riffed by way of all of this:
- Journalism, enterprise capitalists, and never being a colossal jerk: Listen in for extra, however there’s as soon as once more a brouhaha on the planet of know-how twitter and media twitter regarding whether or not journalists ought to write extra optimistic issues about tech corporations (no), and if enterprise capitalists are a bit too thin-skinned for his or her internet price (sure).
- Lemonade’s IPO went kaboom out of the gate, greater than doubling in worth. But the CEO isn’t too apprehensive. I spoke with him earlier than we recorded and he was extra focused on getting a bedrock of stable, long-term buyers than extracting each potential greenback of their elevate. And Lemonade had a bunch of cash already, so it wasn’t an enormous concern.
- We additionally spent a minute on the potential Uber-Postmates deal, that might get introduced early subsequent week. That or Postmates actually is critical about going public. We’ll see.
- Next up we needed to speak about Mirror, Lululemon, and what’s up with house health. Is the pattern right here to remain? Natasha thinks so, and the remainder of the crew are fairly bullish as effectively. Especially as it isn’t like we’re going to get again to life anytime quickly.
- After that it was time to get to a couple funding rounds, together with the newest from Neo.Tax, and a check-in on the early-stage Lessonbee, which sounds actually cool.
- We additionally crammed in a fast phrase on Contrary Capital and startup mafias, the Envision accelerator, Discord’s newest $100 million spherical, and we closed with the Final Luckin Letdown.
Right, that’s our ep. Hugs from the staff and have a stunning weekend. You are all super and we respect you spending a part of your day with the 4 of us.
Equity drops each Monday at 7:00 AM PT and Friday at 6:00 am PT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all of the casts.